Saturday, January 17, 2009

Slumdog.... INDIA !!!


I am eagerly waiting, for the Oscar nominations to announce. "Slumdog Millionaire" has won 4 Golden Globe awards and many others prestigious awards. The best part, an Indian, A.R.Rahman, winning international awards all round the world. Now, its time for Oscars !

But I have always felt that, only those movies (related to India) have done well in Oscars, which depict India as a underdeveloped poor country. Movies like "Salaam Bombay", "Gandhi", "Mother India", "Lagaan", "Water" and finally "Slumdog Millionaire", all depict India living into villages and slums. These movies showed poverty, socio-imbalance, riots, and what not. I guess, for the Oscar jury, India is still a land of "snake charmers".
Amitabh Bachchan rightly says, "Slumdog Millionaire has portrayed India as a Third World dirty underbelly developing nation"!
I still believe, that there were many other movies, which were equally good, and deserved an Oscar nomination, atleast!
My fingers are crossed, and all the wishes to "Slumdog Millionaire".

But I still wait for a movie, winning awards globally, depicting India's economic success.
I still wait for a movie, winning awards globally, that talks about Indian culture, diversity and unity.
I still wait for a movie, winning awards globally, that talks good and positive about India.

No comments: